Really listening

I have definitely got better at listening as I have got older. I mean really listening. That's quite an achievement for someone that's a really enthusiastic extravert like me. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement; I mean we are all of us perpetual 'works in progress' after all.

It occurred to me this week that listening properly is possibly one of the kindest things you can do for someone. And it also occurred to me that most of us probably are not used to being listened to - not properly. I might even go so far as to say that many of us probably have some 'hang-ups' about not being listened to because the vast majority of children just weren't listened to back in our day and proper listening was certainly rarely domonstrated in my childhood!

I used to think what I articulated was the quickest way to impress others and hopefully leave them thinking I was worth knowing. I now think differently!

Comments

  1. i hear you!
    and it's so true, thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am listening, even to your unspoken words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. I couldn't wait to grow up, so that people would take me seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'What did you say?'
    'I'M CHOKING!'
    'Haha, well that was a good one!'

    Um, kidding, congrats on the enhanced listening skilz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always great to be reminded to listen.
    There is a lot to be gained from listening.

    Listening to people is one thing, but it is also wonderful to listen to nature and the world around you.

    lovely wise words from you Molly,
    best wishes
    Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you give something to someone they will remember you. When you sacrifice something they will remember you more.When you listen, you are sacrificing your time and if you can show you did really listen, it means you also care. It's no wonder you've changed your way of thinking. I never really thought of it before but you are spot on. Thanks for the thought MP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Listening is a skill and people feel really valued when someone just sits down and listens to what they have to say. You can learn a lot by listening!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyday Goddess - thank you for popping by and hearing

    Heronster....it's only now, with age, that i have learnt to have unspoken words!!!!

    Codgi - I often think it is odd that children can sometimes get treated with less respect than adults (as if that is somehow acceptable because they are 'only' children. They are more impressionable than most adults and our future!!! We need to cherish them! My daughter had a teacher that shouted all the time in class last year...would an adult put up with that in the workplace?

    Eric - Wonderful nutter - as ever.

    Robyn - I am taking listening very seriously these days and seeing it as a gift I can give to others....most of the time!

    Hi Ken D - spot on yourself.

    Carol - I am in full agreement. I am naturally extravert= thoughts are pumped out and spoken as they are thought but I am learning to hold back and getting pleasure from this form of giving.

    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments......

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking the blog spell...

51 quirky features of Norwich Cathedral that you can go and find

Anal Retention Test